Pages

Monday 19 August 2013

Interview with Sylvia Wamboi (Miss Africa Perth, 2013)



Q. Tell us a bit about yourself & your background
I come from a small town in Kenya known as Eldoret. I have 2 older brothers who have always been protective of me and my parents have always been strict with me especially my father.
Am 22 years of age and an international student in Perth doing a degree in environment management. I have a passion for the environment and children. I love jazz music and the old music from artists such as Luther Vandross, Elton John, Lionel Richie, Whitney Huston and much more making the Ellington jazz club and the laneway lounge my favorite places to hang out with friends.

Q. As an Ambassador for all Africans in Perth, what is your Role?
I am to be a role model for the young Africans in WA, help with community events and functions

Q. What challenges have you faced in your new role?
Juggling my responsibilities with my studies has been a challenge which I have come to appreciate because it’s taught me how to manage my time

Q. What are your proudest moments to date in your role?
My proudest moment has to be representing the youth in Canberra during the 50th African union anniversary celebrations. It was such an awesome moment having to speak in front of high commissioners, diplomats and of course the foreign minister. I got the chance to recite the poem ‘I am an African' by South African Poet Wayne Viser, which the foreign minister used to open his speech with.
Another proud moment is when I go to collect clothes and give them out for donations through the African women council.

Q. As an African ambassador, what are your visions, missions and goals?
 I believe in fulfilling a dream. And for some people, a chance or a boost is all they need to move them closer to their dream. I would like to sponsor identified young immigrants by raising funds to sponsor what they are good in be it sports, music, academics


Q. What projects are you currently working on?
I am currently organising the Miss Africa Perth fundraiser which will be held on the 5th of October 2013. The cause of this fundraising will be to sponsor identified youths who are in need of financial assistance in order for them to further their education.

Q. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
5years from now, I see myself in Kenya as an environmental activist and who knows maybe the next Wangari Maathai



2 comments:

  1. She makes me proud to be called an African, keep up the good work Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are really an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete